Events & News
* * * * * *
On Saturday, October 16, 2021 (9:00a-Noon), Grand Valley Interfaith Network (GVIN) is hosting its “Fall Foods Day,” which is a food drive to benefit six local food banks that feed people from Palisade to Fruita. All spiritual communities, non-faith based organizations, and individuals are invited to participate!
Grocery bags are provided that have specific food lists attached so that the foods most needed are provided. The food banks being served by this event are: Child and Migrant Services, Community Food Bank, Clifton Christian Church Food Pantry, Grand Valley Catholic Outreach, Kids Aide, and Grand Valley Peace & Justice. These agencies will be present at the drop-off location to accept and load your generous donations into their respective vehicles and provide information about how they serve in the community.
You can pick up grocery bags (with shopping lists attached) Monday through Thursday (9:00a to 2:00p) at the Grand Valley Peace & Justice resource desk, at the Office Suites entrance of 740 Gunnison of The Center for Independence. The P&J contact is Sherry Cole at email@example.com or 970.261.7695. The lists are also available for printing on the GVIN website: https://grandvalleyinterfaithnetwork.blogspot.com/p/events-news.html.
Drop-off on Oct. 16 will be in the east parking lot of the Downtown Vineyard Church (northwest corner of 5th and Grand Ave.). All are welcome to participate so that all may receive! The desired food/lists follow.
* * * * * *
Sept. 12 (Sunday) - Pride Parade
GVIN will have a presence at the annual Grand Junction Pride Parade on Sunday morning, September 12. Members and Friends will join with the group from Unitarian Universalists of the Grand Valley to display banners and ribbons and other positive messages in support of the LGBTQIA community. Be part of this welcoming group of individuals; show community support at this year's event.
* * * * * *
Visit GVIN members at their canopy/booth on Saturday at Lincoln Park (southeast corner of 12th and North) as we lend our spirit to the Juneteenth Celebration in Grand Junction. Find out about GVIN's projects in the community and pick up a brochure that describes its Interfaith focus. We look forward to meeting you! This event is hosted by Black Citizens and Friends. Guest speakers begin at 5:30p.
* * * * * *
Join GVIN in a food drive to benefit five local food banks that feed people from Palisade to Fruita. All spiritual communities, non-faith based organizations, and individuals are invited to participate!
- Print a grocery shopping list (or save the image to your device). Each list is unique to each of the organizations.
- Fill a box or bag with the items on the list(s).
- Bring the box or bag of food items to the drop-off location on Saturday, May 15 between 9:00a.m. and Noon.
Community Food Bank... print the PURPLE shopping list.
Clifton Christian Church and Food Bank... print the ORANGE shopping list.
Grand Valley Catholic Outreach... print the BLUE shopping list.
Here are the "Drop Off" instructions for May 15:
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
MLK Day - January 18, 2021 - There will be a modified MLK Day March in Grand Junction on this day. Details about the March and other events around the valley can be found at:
- A video created by GVIN Member American Lutheran Church (ALC) in Grand Junction, CO. (1:07min) - in support of Black Lives Matter (Click on video image when it appears to PLAY)
- A video created by GVIN Member Shepherd of the Valley Lutheran Church in Grand Junction, CO (2:47min) - You are loved! We are with you!
National Geographic (2:34min) - Thanks to the efforts of a Baptist preacher, Martin Luther King, Jr., U.S. law upholds equal rights for all people across the country regardless of race, color, or creed. https://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/news/00000144-0a31-d3cb-a96c-7b3d4b0d0000
PBS Learning Media | Civil Rights Leader Video (5:09min) https://rmpbs.pbslearningmedia.org/resource/americon-vid-martin-luther-king-jr/video/#.YACb6-hKiM8
- NBC News (Sander Vanocur) – 1967 Interview of Dr. King 11 months before his death (26:43min) – Talks “New Phase” of civil rights struggle – at Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, GA https://www.nbcnews.com/video/martin-luther-king-jr-speaks-with-nbc-news-11-months-before-assassination-1202163779741
The Story of Marin Luther King Jr. by Kid President (3:26min)